I dreamed that Michael and I went to see Dottie. In my dream, she was still alive but Bo had died. We were dreading it and were worried about the state of the house. We knocked on the door but no one answered, so we went in. Inside, it was amazing! The house was perfectly clean, and she was up and doing things. She was healthy and agile and doing great! We had a conversation, and she had gotten remarried. Apparently, this had helped her. We assume he helped her get off of her pain medication, and he had hired a housekeeper. It was a great visit and it was wonderful to see her doing well.
I dreamed I was on a trip with Michael, Alex and Dylan. We were away from home and staying in a hotel, but there was a high school football game that Alex and Dylan needed to perform at. We were sitting inside a large room/gym/auditorium of some sort, and I was wearing special pantyhose. I think that they were slimming, but instead of being shorts like Kathy wears, they were full length hose that also covered my feet. I was wearing black, open toed shoes but I also had tennis shoes with me. As we finished the activity inside, we had to move outside, and I was upset that I had forgotten to switch into my tennis shoes. I looked down, and suddenly my tennis shoes just appeared on my feet. We had been planning on driving home after the game – Alex and Dylan in one car and Michael and I in the other, but we realized it would be very late so we decided to spend another night in a hotel.
I’m not sure of the timing/sequence, but we also sat in a class. There was a substitute teacher who looked a lot like Danny Wood from New Kids on the Block. The class was filled with disruptions, and the kids wouldn’t focus, so he said he was going to show us the new technique. He took the entire class removing every disruption – letting people do whatever they needed to. He let people leave, and he just let the scenarios play out. Carl was in the room, and he wanted a pillow so I gave him mine, and I thought to myself that this wasn’t a great plan. At one point we all went outside. It was cold and snowy, and I had a blanket on. As we were walking outside, I no longer had shoes on at all. I was worried about it being cold and my feet getting wet. I was also worried about tearing the special pantyhose. When we got back, the teacher clearly thought that this was the last of the distractions, but I wanted to put my blanket in the dryer. There was a laundromat across the hall, but he said no. It did work somewhat in my dream – the class calmed down. He said he had tickets to see NKOTB, but that whoever took them had to be free to go the very next day, so I didn’t say anything. After class, I saw he traded them to a guy for a cigar, and I was upset I didn’t say anything.
Last night, I had a very strange dream. I was on a business trip of some sort (only not traveling with my actual co-workers that I know.) We were in a hotel – maybe a conference center, although at times I got confused and thought we were at our friends’ house (Jon and LouAnn.) Of course, it wasn’t their actual house either. I had gone outside, and there was a swimming pool. It was very natural looking, with lots of landscaping/forests around it. It looked less like a pool and more like a pond. In the back corners, it was very dark because of all the shadows. I felt like I should ask LouAnn if I could go swimming, but as I was thinking about asking, suddenly I was in the water. I was nervous about going in the back since it was so dark. I also wondered if it was stocked with fish, but the water felt great. As I was swimming around, I saw a small silvery/white thread sticking out of my hand. I got out of the water and used tweezers to pull it out, and it was extremely long. As I pulled, then it turned into a wide, brown stick maybe half a centimeter in diameter. It hurt a lot pulling it out, and I had to put pressure on my hand to make myself pull it out. But the relief was so great when it came out that I had to do it. Each time I pulled one out, another one would appear. All of them were in the palms of my hands, and they had come from swimming in the pool. Someone else started to get in, and I warned them against it.
The dream then shifted and I was back inside the hotel. We were going into a meeting that I was leading, and it was on the 11th floor of the hotel. My room was also on this floor, and there was also a fast food restaurant on this floor. I wanted to get a diet coke before the meeting, but I was worried about running late. When I got into the room, though, everyone was late, so I left to go get a diet coke. The people in the restaurant knew me because I’d been in there so much. There were some people getting these huge plastic tumblers of diet cokes, but I just ordered a regular large one. They got distracted and forgot to get it for me, then a lady tried to give me a small one. It was very chaotic. I was also looking at the cabinets and appliance doors, and there were small bottles used to help prevent them from slamming. Austin called me while I was there and told me about the same thing, and I thought that was a big coincidence.
There was also some form of betrayal. I don’t remember the details now, but someone in the group had done something, and we were trying to figure out who. There was a bathroom that had plastic sheeting on the walls (like we used to have in our restaurant on the kitchen walls.) They had put crayons in the bathroom so people could write on the walls, but then it could be washed off. I wrote something but then felt guilty about it.
I dreamed that a war was imenent. I was taking messages back and forth to people. Then suddenly Donald Trump was there and he handed a note directly to the other side. I was frantic because no one knew what the note said and I was certain that bypassing the process would lead to disaster. Then I woke up!
I’m in Atlanta this week for a work meeting, and tonight we are going to an escape room. I’m super excited. Last night I felt like I dreamed about that all night, so I woke up exhausted! What’s interesting is the detail of my dream…
I dreamed that my colleague Gary had been to this escape room before, and he told us that the secret was that each of the five buildings were named after the days of the week. At the time, that didn’t mean anything to me, but when we got there, that ruined the experience! We arrived, and the place was set up with five separate buildings inside a large warehouse that were all on motorized bases. There were tables set up outside each house for our dinner. We were supposed to have had two different groups, but those of us who arrived first just went on in and started. There was a man inside on stilts, and he looked huge. He told his story, and kept stuttering as he said the word “Monday” and so immediately we all knew that we had to leave this building and go to the first building that was named Monday to solve the puzzle. I had decided to go ahead and try to figure it out without Gary’s hint. The man on stilts was smoking a cigarette that had a really strong scent. For some reason, I think it was sandlewood. I had to take my inhaler. Then the lights went out and the house started rocking. When it stopped, the man was gone and we were locked in. The building looked like my bedroom at home, and the drawers had my content in them. So in my mind, it was a holographic overlay. I found a bracelet on the wall with a tiny key, and the tiny key opened a tiny lock, but I didn’t see what was inside. A couple of people left immediately to go “solve” it (including my old high school friend Kristal), which made me mad. I also dreamed that Julie and Corey (two colleagues who went to the Hawks game instead of dinner) stayed out all night and met us there.
I was in a cyclical dream that I couldn’t get out of. It seemed to repeat several times with subtle variations. Michael and I were going to the kids’ school to check them out. When we arrived, it was an elementary school and everyone was running around on recess. I was confused, because I didn’t think that high schoolers got recess, so I asked if they were helping with recess. Michael said this was the last year they got it. There were two sisters who were fighting. They pushed each other, and the smaller one (who I thought was so little she should barely be able to talk) said something very articulate, though I can’t remember what. Everyone was auditioning for a play, and we were discussing what part I could play.
Also in this dream, Michael had bought me a new car. It was the exact same as my current one, but it was a different color and was entirely new.
I was in an apartment, I am not really sure which. I knew that a secret society of sorts met there, but I didn’t really understand who they were or what they did. I knew that the people who came and went were very close – beyond ordinary friends. And I knew that I wanted to be a part of what they had.
At first, I thought that it involved selling makeup. There was fingernail polish, and I remember asking what I needed to do. I said that I could start wearing that kind of fingernail polish, and I started looking for both a dark, greenish color and a neutral beige color to wear. I also thought that I could start selling it. As I was looking at the fingernail polish, there was a guy sitting in a chair in the back. (It almost looked like a dental chair.) They were putting a mask or a body wrap of sorts on him, but it was clear that the process was making him high based on what he was saying and how he was acting. I thought to myself that I didn’t know if I wanted to do that.
As the dream progressed, I realized that this group was much more than I first thought. They use magic (?) to move around the city, and everything is a life-sized game of sorts. Each person has a list of challenges to complete, and you can work together to complete them.
I had been doing this for a little while, and Buster and I were back in the apartment. (Perhaps this was like a headquarters?) We heard a cat meowing incessantly, and so I went in the hall to see what it was. I thought it was either an intruder or a part of the game. A guy that had been gone for a while (but that I was very fond of) had returned and wanted to work on the next quest. I was excited, and so we went running through the halls. Everything moved very fast in this world. I tied Buster to a post in the stairwell, using a leash I found outside the door. He was surprisingly calm about all of this (and in fact, had been going along with me on the quests for some time.)
We were running through the streets, through buildings, etc. We reached another building in another part of town – it felt more rundown. There was a meeting with this whole group, and we were apparently in trouble. One guy that I was close to was getting admonished for not helping me finish my personal list of tasks, and I interrupted in the meeting and said that I was told not to finish them. The man in charge didn’t want to hear it. (I was very rude when I interrupted.) I then looked at the other man who was sitting next to me (he looked a little like Taylor from the Gilmore Girls) and even though I knew he was the one who told me not to finish them, I asked if he would help me do them now. He said of course he would. Then I accidentally did something that transported me back to the original apartment building, though I’m not sure what I did. It was very disrespectful for me to leave the meeting (and I didn’t mean to.) But I wasn’t sure how to get back to it. It also was frowned upon to work on tasks by yourself, so it wasn’t safe or a good idea to be on my own. I untied Buster and took him inside again, and then tried to teleport back to the building where the meeting was. I wasn’t sure how to use the technology, so when I arrived, I didn’t know where I was or where the building was. I did this a few times, but I was at risk for people seeing me, so I stopped. I decided I needed to go home, because my mom (?) would be worried about me.
I went back to the apartment building, but there was a terrible flood. I tried to teleport home from outside, but I received an error because there were other magical people too close. I went through the building to exit the other side, and the street was entirely flooded with water coming up the steps. Someone was standing there and told me to watch my step. I held the handrail and then walked down the steps, but before I reached the bottom, the whole stairwell collapsed and detached from the building. It started floating down the street along with cars. I didn’t feel unsafe at all, and I somehow feel that magic was partially controlling this – that everything was still in control. I also believed that even though I’d been gone from home for an extended period of time (days? weeks?) I didn’t think my mom would be concerned now.
There was an older asian woman on the stairs with me (kind of like Lane’s mom on Gilmore Girls), and she said, “There are many Chinese triangles in the sky today.” I looked up and suddenly could see triangle patterns where there had been done before. I was amazed by this, and I took it as a very good sign.
Oddly enough, I feel as though this is more meaningful than just a fun dream. I googled Chinese triangle, and apparently, the Chinese “discovered” the triangle, although I don’t really understand that. I also googled “sacred geometry” triangle and clearly, this shape has significance, not the least of which is the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Without over-analyzing the various parts, my gut tells me that this represents a glimpse into my tasks on earth, and the people I was so fond of are guides who are there to help me. In their world, things that would normally be stressful for me are simply “next tasks” for them and are perhaps great fun. The pace of time is different from my eyes to theirs, and time has no meaning for them (which is likely why my “mom” would not be worried and why I was unclear if I was gone days, weeks or months.) The meeting could indicate that I was somehow off track, and the team was being reprimanded (?) that feels like the wrong word. I got the distinct impression that my tasks could now change, but I wanted to get back on the same path as before and they were willing to help me do that. I don’t feel there was anger, just more stating of the facts.
In life – while I’m awake – I’ve felt that the barrier between heaven and earth has been “thin” lately. I started feeling this way around my birthday (February 2017) and now.
I know my friend and dream mentor Karen would now want me to go back and analyze the various elements and look at the people and how they might represent parts of me.
- The urban apartment: I’ve always liked living in the city. The fact that this is an apartment rather than a house would signify that this is a temporary stopping point. As a young adult, I never bought a house because I wasn’t sure that I’d be there long enough and I wanted the flexibility to pass through. This could represent a phase in my life, or even this temporary time on earth.
- Fingernail polish/makeup: This is a clear reference to my persona. I’ve been thinking about nail polish lately because a) I’ve been biting my nails again and b) I was thinking how nice I look in the “goth” filters on snapchat with dark blue lipstick, eyeshadow, etc. I’ve even been wearing special mascara to make my eyelashes seem longer. The first step was adjusting my persona to incorporate the elements of this group, and the second was helping others do so as well.
- Wrap/Drugs/High: This was an interesting thing. I had watched a couple of videos of people putting on wraps and facials before bed. They weren’t particularly fun, though they said their skin felt nice after. I clearly felt an affinity for these people around me, and I wanted to be a part of their group. Yet I didn’t trust them with this experience? I think this was telling me that there are parts of the journey I won’t be comfortable with, but I have to trust God’s path and know that the outcome will be worth it.
- Buster: This echoes the trust factor. Buster never trusts me and does not like change. The fact that he was willing and compliant to go without hesitation on these quests, or to remain tied to a stairwell, shows his trust of the process and of this group. Perhaps he’s a teacher in this dream.
- Cat: I’m very allergic to cats, and so I never spend time with them. This cat was exceptionally loud, and was used to get my attention. Again, things I don’t like being used for good??
- Prodigal Son: This term came to me as I was writing the analysis, and it fit perfectly. I don’t know why this person was gone, but I was so excited he was back. Perhaps this was Jesus? That doesn’t feel right (and I don’t think Jesus ever ‘leaves’.) In the story of the prodigal son, the son fritters away his money and leaves, and he returns hoping to work for his father as a servant. The father welcomes him back with open arms and celebrations. If this person is me, it could represent a part of me that’s been “lost” or again point to the fact that I’m “off track” but be reassurance that I’m able to get back on track without issue or repercussion.
- Meeting leader: I never saw the meeting leader, so this could represent God. But if this is a part of me, it’s the part of accountability. It’s the part admonishing the distractions and trying to stay on task. I was very rude to this part of me (which is not like me – I generally would never be rude to anyone in authority, at least not intentionally.) I interrupted and left in the middle… I’m perhaps not listening to my inner voice? I know I need more quiet time. The cycle of work is not working for me.
- “Taylor” – This is an interesting one. In my dream, he was the one who pulled me off track, but he’s also the one I turned to to get me back on track. (echoes of the forgiveness with the prodigal son?) I don’t like the character of Taylor in Gilmore Girls. I find him annoying and I usually don’t care for his story lines. However, I also can see myself in him – the part of me that dwells on detail and the control freak part of me.
- Flood: What a powerful symbol! For me, this represents a new start, fresh start, clean slate. There is destruction but then rebuilding. This can also represent the forces of nature.
- “Mrs. Kim”: This character in the Gilmore Girls is an interesting choice. She is extremely strict, but now that her daughter is growing up, she lets down her armor a little bit so you can see the love and the humanity behind the persona. She wants what’s best for her daughter, and sometimes that means being tough on her. That’s perhaps my conscience – trying to do the right thing.
- Chinese Triangles: The only personal references I have for “Chinese” is my good friend Marleen who I love dearly, and the Mrs. Kim connection, but they are not Chinese. I don’t have any personal feelings about the triangle, so this one is still a mystery to me.
- Parkour: This word kept coming to me, as perhaps it’s the closest thing to represent the pace of activity in this dream. When I googled it, I found this definition in Wikipedia:
Parkour is a training discipline using movement that developed from military obstacle course training. Practitioners aim to get from one point to another in a complex environment, without assistive equipment and in the fastest and most efficient way possible. Parkour includes running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, quadrupedal movement, and other movements as deemed most suitable for the situation. Parkour’s development from military training gives it some aspects of a non-combative martial arts.
Parkour is an activity that can be practised alone or with others and is usually—but not exclusively—carried out in urban spaces. Parkour involves seeing one’s environment in a new way, and imagining the potential for navigating it by movement around, across, through, over and under its features.
This is so interesting, because although I’ve never looked up this definition before, this describes the movement in my dream to a tee. The movement didn’t LOOK like the Facebook videos I’ve seen of parkour, but this description is perfect. I’ve been blogged down by details, and I’ve been letting them slow me down (or, if this dream is any indication) pull me off track completely. I need to see my environment in a new way, and imagine the potential for navigating it my movement around, across, through, over and under its features. Rather than feeling grouchy or overwhelmed, stalling and making excuses, I need to see this as the game it is. The game of life. I need to be creative and know that I have a host of the best people ever helping me behind the scenes. I need to keep moving forward, and the journey will be so worth it in the end. And I need to trust God.