I had a really detailed dream. I was a part of a family… maybe a royal family. We lived on a large farm. One day several of us got sucked into an alternate universe and there was a game/challenge for us to get back. There were different levels to pass through and they were tricky. If you missed a clue, you might be able to proceed but then it would cause problems later. Once we got to the end, we thought we had missed something critical but then the game masters held up a sign or something that morphed our players into a question mark. We realized that our strength was when we were all together as a family and not divided, so we agreed to go home. One sister had bonded with another girl who was her sister in this alternate universe and she didn’t want to leave. We made her, and at the last second she grabbed her and brought the alternate sister back with her. All of us were down in the basement except for those two and our parents. Those who had just traveled had been wiped out and needed to recover. We were all lying in the floor of the basement. Our oldest brothers who had not traveled said they needed to seal all the entrances to the basement, so they left and we locked the doors at the top of the stairs, although we could see out. But while they were gone, our sister and the alternate sister slid down a chute that was one of the entrances our brothers went to block. We grabbed alternate sister and dragged her up the stairs and it really upset our sister. We couldn’t get out though because we locked the door. I’m not sure how we got out of that situation, but then we were outside watching the farming. There was a little boy on a little tractor helping his dad. They left an area of the field to mow for this little boy and it was very cute. I was walking out in the field with someone else who worked for the king. We saw something blue in the field and walked over to see what it was, and it was a portal from the other world. They were blue squares and many of them popped up. We started running back to our own portals to get back to the castle to earn everyone, but we couldn’t outrun us and they grabbed our legs and prevented us from getting back. Then I woke up.
I dreamed I was playing games. I was with a weird mixture of people from home and a guy from work I had never met before but he was staying with a friend. I was not dressed up- I was in sweat pants and. t-shirt. We were playing online trivia. I had a teeny tiny computer and I saw a mouse on the table so I plugged it in. The mouse was huge (uncomfortably so) and I joked it was almost bigger than my computer.
When that was over the kids were there and we had a box of tiny plastic items and had to find certain ones. I thought it was an alligator we had to find then someone said no it was a can of gumbo.
I was at a house getting ready for a festival of some sort. It was a big empty house and I was going up and downstairs. There were neat old clocks that didn’t work scattered around on the floor. The day of the festival, we went to a booth and were with Emily and Rob. At the booth they fixed old clocks. I was upset that I didn’t realize that’s what they were for and Emily bought a plain white plastic clock.
There was something about filmmaking in the dream but I don’t remember what.
We went back inside the house and Rob had given gifts to me and Emily. She was disappointed in hers- it was stationary. I thought it was cute- colorful spiral bound notebooks. I had opened part of mine but not a small wrapped package in the gift bag. It was a notepad and you could write on it and at the top it had games you could play. I was really excited.
I dreamed that Marleen surprised me and took me in a trip. At first I thought it was a weekend trip but then I realized we were going to be gone for two full weeks. I was worried that I hadn’t taken that much time off. We were on an ocean liner. It wasn’t really a cruise ship but more of an industrial ship. I took several naps and then she said something about fishing. I said I had done it before but had more options.. I thought I had to fish through a little square hole with a metal lid. She took me under the boat which was very claustrophobic at first but then it was beautiful and we could see all this water below the boat. On our way back up there was a room of animals in cages. We were going to look for a turtle but then saw it in a box and a cat was trying to eat it’s tail. I pulled the cat off of it and we went on. Then we went to the gym but I was with a guy not Marleen. He was really into working out and I said maybe I could get in the habit before vacation was over. I asked how many days it took to make a new habit and he said 15. I was drinking water out of a 2 cup measuring cup and was embarrassed so I hid it under the bleachers so people wouldn’t see. Then Alex and some other people showed up and it was like we were at a camp of some sort. Everyone ran off to a shop to find prizes for later. Alex had tried to get big ones but this guy who was a respected leader or counselor got several small items including a griddle. Everyone said they wished they had gotten more smaller items. They had a game and Alex wanted to play it. I said Inwanted to play but we shouldn’t open it. He said they had already been playing it, but I woke up as soon as he dumped out the game pieces.
I was in an apartment, I am not really sure which. I knew that a secret society of sorts met there, but I didn’t really understand who they were or what they did. I knew that the people who came and went were very close – beyond ordinary friends. And I knew that I wanted to be a part of what they had.
At first, I thought that it involved selling makeup. There was fingernail polish, and I remember asking what I needed to do. I said that I could start wearing that kind of fingernail polish, and I started looking for both a dark, greenish color and a neutral beige color to wear. I also thought that I could start selling it. As I was looking at the fingernail polish, there was a guy sitting in a chair in the back. (It almost looked like a dental chair.) They were putting a mask or a body wrap of sorts on him, but it was clear that the process was making him high based on what he was saying and how he was acting. I thought to myself that I didn’t know if I wanted to do that.
As the dream progressed, I realized that this group was much more than I first thought. They use magic (?) to move around the city, and everything is a life-sized game of sorts. Each person has a list of challenges to complete, and you can work together to complete them.
I had been doing this for a little while, and Buster and I were back in the apartment. (Perhaps this was like a headquarters?) We heard a cat meowing incessantly, and so I went in the hall to see what it was. I thought it was either an intruder or a part of the game. A guy that had been gone for a while (but that I was very fond of) had returned and wanted to work on the next quest. I was excited, and so we went running through the halls. Everything moved very fast in this world. I tied Buster to a post in the stairwell, using a leash I found outside the door. He was surprisingly calm about all of this (and in fact, had been going along with me on the quests for some time.)
We were running through the streets, through buildings, etc. We reached another building in another part of town – it felt more rundown. There was a meeting with this whole group, and we were apparently in trouble. One guy that I was close to was getting admonished for not helping me finish my personal list of tasks, and I interrupted in the meeting and said that I was told not to finish them. The man in charge didn’t want to hear it. (I was very rude when I interrupted.) I then looked at the other man who was sitting next to me (he looked a little like Taylor from the Gilmore Girls) and even though I knew he was the one who told me not to finish them, I asked if he would help me do them now. He said of course he would. Then I accidentally did something that transported me back to the original apartment building, though I’m not sure what I did. It was very disrespectful for me to leave the meeting (and I didn’t mean to.) But I wasn’t sure how to get back to it. It also was frowned upon to work on tasks by yourself, so it wasn’t safe or a good idea to be on my own. I untied Buster and took him inside again, and then tried to teleport back to the building where the meeting was. I wasn’t sure how to use the technology, so when I arrived, I didn’t know where I was or where the building was. I did this a few times, but I was at risk for people seeing me, so I stopped. I decided I needed to go home, because my mom (?) would be worried about me.
I went back to the apartment building, but there was a terrible flood. I tried to teleport home from outside, but I received an error because there were other magical people too close. I went through the building to exit the other side, and the street was entirely flooded with water coming up the steps. Someone was standing there and told me to watch my step. I held the handrail and then walked down the steps, but before I reached the bottom, the whole stairwell collapsed and detached from the building. It started floating down the street along with cars. I didn’t feel unsafe at all, and I somehow feel that magic was partially controlling this – that everything was still in control. I also believed that even though I’d been gone from home for an extended period of time (days? weeks?) I didn’t think my mom would be concerned now.
There was an older asian woman on the stairs with me (kind of like Lane’s mom on Gilmore Girls), and she said, “There are many Chinese triangles in the sky today.” I looked up and suddenly could see triangle patterns where there had been done before. I was amazed by this, and I took it as a very good sign.
Oddly enough, I feel as though this is more meaningful than just a fun dream. I googled Chinese triangle, and apparently, the Chinese “discovered” the triangle, although I don’t really understand that. I also googled “sacred geometry” triangle and clearly, this shape has significance, not the least of which is the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Without over-analyzing the various parts, my gut tells me that this represents a glimpse into my tasks on earth, and the people I was so fond of are guides who are there to help me. In their world, things that would normally be stressful for me are simply “next tasks” for them and are perhaps great fun. The pace of time is different from my eyes to theirs, and time has no meaning for them (which is likely why my “mom” would not be worried and why I was unclear if I was gone days, weeks or months.) The meeting could indicate that I was somehow off track, and the team was being reprimanded (?) that feels like the wrong word. I got the distinct impression that my tasks could now change, but I wanted to get back on the same path as before and they were willing to help me do that. I don’t feel there was anger, just more stating of the facts.
In life – while I’m awake – I’ve felt that the barrier between heaven and earth has been “thin” lately. I started feeling this way around my birthday (February 2017) and now.
I know my friend and dream mentor Karen would now want me to go back and analyze the various elements and look at the people and how they might represent parts of me.
- The urban apartment: I’ve always liked living in the city. The fact that this is an apartment rather than a house would signify that this is a temporary stopping point. As a young adult, I never bought a house because I wasn’t sure that I’d be there long enough and I wanted the flexibility to pass through. This could represent a phase in my life, or even this temporary time on earth.
- Fingernail polish/makeup: This is a clear reference to my persona. I’ve been thinking about nail polish lately because a) I’ve been biting my nails again and b) I was thinking how nice I look in the “goth” filters on snapchat with dark blue lipstick, eyeshadow, etc. I’ve even been wearing special mascara to make my eyelashes seem longer. The first step was adjusting my persona to incorporate the elements of this group, and the second was helping others do so as well.
- Wrap/Drugs/High: This was an interesting thing. I had watched a couple of videos of people putting on wraps and facials before bed. They weren’t particularly fun, though they said their skin felt nice after. I clearly felt an affinity for these people around me, and I wanted to be a part of their group. Yet I didn’t trust them with this experience? I think this was telling me that there are parts of the journey I won’t be comfortable with, but I have to trust God’s path and know that the outcome will be worth it.
- Buster: This echoes the trust factor. Buster never trusts me and does not like change. The fact that he was willing and compliant to go without hesitation on these quests, or to remain tied to a stairwell, shows his trust of the process and of this group. Perhaps he’s a teacher in this dream.
- Cat: I’m very allergic to cats, and so I never spend time with them. This cat was exceptionally loud, and was used to get my attention. Again, things I don’t like being used for good??
- Prodigal Son: This term came to me as I was writing the analysis, and it fit perfectly. I don’t know why this person was gone, but I was so excited he was back. Perhaps this was Jesus? That doesn’t feel right (and I don’t think Jesus ever ‘leaves’.) In the story of the prodigal son, the son fritters away his money and leaves, and he returns hoping to work for his father as a servant. The father welcomes him back with open arms and celebrations. If this person is me, it could represent a part of me that’s been “lost” or again point to the fact that I’m “off track” but be reassurance that I’m able to get back on track without issue or repercussion.
- Meeting leader: I never saw the meeting leader, so this could represent God. But if this is a part of me, it’s the part of accountability. It’s the part admonishing the distractions and trying to stay on task. I was very rude to this part of me (which is not like me – I generally would never be rude to anyone in authority, at least not intentionally.) I interrupted and left in the middle… I’m perhaps not listening to my inner voice? I know I need more quiet time. The cycle of work is not working for me.
- “Taylor” – This is an interesting one. In my dream, he was the one who pulled me off track, but he’s also the one I turned to to get me back on track. (echoes of the forgiveness with the prodigal son?) I don’t like the character of Taylor in Gilmore Girls. I find him annoying and I usually don’t care for his story lines. However, I also can see myself in him – the part of me that dwells on detail and the control freak part of me.
- Flood: What a powerful symbol! For me, this represents a new start, fresh start, clean slate. There is destruction but then rebuilding. This can also represent the forces of nature.
- “Mrs. Kim”: This character in the Gilmore Girls is an interesting choice. She is extremely strict, but now that her daughter is growing up, she lets down her armor a little bit so you can see the love and the humanity behind the persona. She wants what’s best for her daughter, and sometimes that means being tough on her. That’s perhaps my conscience – trying to do the right thing.
- Chinese Triangles: The only personal references I have for “Chinese” is my good friend Marleen who I love dearly, and the Mrs. Kim connection, but they are not Chinese. I don’t have any personal feelings about the triangle, so this one is still a mystery to me.
- Parkour: This word kept coming to me, as perhaps it’s the closest thing to represent the pace of activity in this dream. When I googled it, I found this definition in Wikipedia:
Parkour is a training discipline using movement that developed from military obstacle course training. Practitioners aim to get from one point to another in a complex environment, without assistive equipment and in the fastest and most efficient way possible. Parkour includes running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, quadrupedal movement, and other movements as deemed most suitable for the situation. Parkour’s development from military training gives it some aspects of a non-combative martial arts.
Parkour is an activity that can be practised alone or with others and is usually—but not exclusively—carried out in urban spaces. Parkour involves seeing one’s environment in a new way, and imagining the potential for navigating it by movement around, across, through, over and under its features.
This is so interesting, because although I’ve never looked up this definition before, this describes the movement in my dream to a tee. The movement didn’t LOOK like the Facebook videos I’ve seen of parkour, but this description is perfect. I’ve been blogged down by details, and I’ve been letting them slow me down (or, if this dream is any indication) pull me off track completely. I need to see my environment in a new way, and imagine the potential for navigating it my movement around, across, through, over and under its features. Rather than feeling grouchy or overwhelmed, stalling and making excuses, I need to see this as the game it is. The game of life. I need to be creative and know that I have a host of the best people ever helping me behind the scenes. I need to keep moving forward, and the journey will be so worth it in the end. And I need to trust God.
I was living in a “new” house although it felt like I had been there a while. The house was large, and I didn’t understand how much space it had. I was getting ready to clean it, and I discovered that in addition to the main house, there was an entirely new floor below (in the basement) that had a very long hallway with extra rooms. Many of them were bedrooms, and in fact some had multiple bunk beds. I remember thinking that I didn’t realize how much extra sleeping space we had. I felt overwhelmed at the idea of cleaning it all, but I closed off some of the rooms that I wasn’t going to need immediately, and then I started cleaning my own bedroom first. I was dusting a shelf, and there were items from my childhood that I didn’t really like. There were some very feminine, girly things like ceramic hearts with fake lace around the edge. I thought to myself that I didn’t need to keep those things, and that I needed to donate them or sell them.
Then the dream shifted (or maybe it was a second dream.) I was supposed to go to the young adult group at the church and talk to them about Servant Ministry projects. I was supposed to be there at a certain time. First, I was in a big area that resembled an airport but with lots of food places. I was looking for something to eat. It also felt a little like a college dorm cafeteria. I was planning to eat and then go to the meeting. I stopped Will and asked if it was ok if I turned it into a game. I was planning to do trivia like “How many people did we feed with Stop Hunger Now?” He said that was fine. But then I missed the event (maybe this is when I was cleaning??) Dylan came in and said that he and his dad had done it, and although he hadn’t wanted to go, he ended up winning the trivia.
I dreamed we went to an Old Miss basketball game show and tell. The players were all demonstrating and I couldn’t tell if they were robots or real. Done had really huge muscles. After their demo, Ana and Ben were taking pictures and posing for photo ops. The coach, or whoever was in charge had to leave unexpectedly but said the events would be continued the next day. After we left I found Michael in the library in some sort of a meeting.